LEAP15 upgrade --NVIDIA crash

Hinweis: In dem Thema LEAP15 upgrade --NVIDIA crash gibt es 3 Antworten. Der letzte Beitrag () befindet sich ganz unten auf dieser Seite.
  • openSuse 15 again --- My setup: GEFORCE GT740 graphics should use the (latest) NVIDIA driver e.g. NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.67.run (manually installed)

Problem: Standard re-compiled NVIDIA driver installation fails causing X-server crashes (black screen, mouse only, blinking at commandline and so on - essentially to fail beyond recovery.

Prerequisite: Download the NVIDIA driver first e.g. NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.67.run

After an upgrade from Leap v42.3 to LEAP15 the update left me "again" with a black screen mouse only and beeing unable to switch to any console.
    May be it is my hardware (which is not that new), however I cannot understand that certain errors persist for years and cannot be fixed.

Basically -- I fixed the issue by installing the driver the hardway, because none of pre-compiled NVIDIA drivers (GF04 or GF03) worked (tried them all).

Found this guide at: "https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_the_hard_way" in a modified way allowed for installation of the latest NVIDIA driver
    However - this leaves the system effectively unbootable. The guide suggests to remove

Code
    # zypper rm drm-kmp-default
    # mkinitrd

followed by a "reboot" --- which in turn leaves the system unbootable, since the boot entry in grub2 has been completely removed with it!

FIX ---
    (1) when booting at the grub menu, select the entry and press "e" to edit the boot parameter. Adding an "init 3 " to the boot parameter line
    (including the space after the 3), which allowed for booting into console.

(2) at the console as root:

Code
    # snapper create

# zypper in -t pattern devel_C_C++ devel_kernel

# zypper in libelf-devel

worked fine --- to have all tools to compile at hand.

(3) Now remove the previously attempted installations of NVIDIA drivers by:
    using either the graphical interface "yast" run in console .. search for NVIDIA and remove related packages. When ask do not let yast install the MESA driver as it will crash the Xserver.
    Resolve all conflicts if any ..

(4) Remove "drm-kmp-default - if anything left there

Code
    # zypper rm drm-kmp-default

In my case -- there was no drm-kmp default when I used yast - so abort it (but good to check). The system might suggest to remove "kernel-default" -- which you should not do!!!

(5) Reboot and press "e" at GRUB2, add "nomodeset" and "3" to the group
    "splash=silent quiet showopts". For example: "splash=silent quiet nomodeset 3 showopts"

nomodeset ensures the nouveau driver won't be loaded and the "3 " that you be backup at the console.

(6) at the console, change directory to the location where you downloaded the driver e.g. "NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.67.run" and:

Code
    # sh /home/<username>/Downloads/<NVIDIA*.run>

# mkinitrd

This should work without any error ... Ccheck if everything related to NVIDIA is finally there:

Code
    # lsinitrd | grep nvidia

# shutdown -r now

# hwinfo --gfxcard

the hwinfo command can be used prior to reboot too ..So finally everything is working. Note: block the installation of the MESA driver in YAST -- to avoid problems.Comment: Still I cannot believe that this problem comes back over and over .. Yes, I understand NVIDIA is NVIDIA and openSuse is openSuse, but it is a common used driver or not. It would be nice if this can be somehow automated by script by the less tech professionals.There is as well no good recovery tools to fix graphical login errors ... 8|

Für den Inhalt des Beitrages 121726 haftet ausdrücklich der jeweilige Autor: hastagger

• Ich installiere immer "the Hard way".
    Nie mkinitrd benutzt.

Allerdings muss man vorher immer erst alle Nvidia Treiber deinstallieren, sowie, von dir richtig angegeben, drm-kmp-default.

Tip:
    Ich hab mir 2 Scripte gebaut, erstes switched zu multiuser.target (Runlevel 3)
    cat ~/bin/systemreboot.sh

Bash
    #!/bin/bash

systemctl set-default multi-user.target
    reboot

Beim reboot wird automatisch in Runlevel3 gestartet, dort als root anmelden und folgendes Script:
    cat /usr/local/bin/nvidia-install

Dort wird dann automatisch der Nvidia Treiber (momentan 396.24.02 installiert, wieder graphical.target (Runlevel 5) gesetzt und rebootet.

Zu diesem Treiber:
    Da momentan mit den Nvidia GTX 1060 mit 6GB Speicher Probleme existieren (schwarzer Bildschirm) ist dies ein short live Treiber aus dem Developer Bereich, der schon von Nvidia angepasst wurde.
    Ansonsten den 390.67 long live Treiber benutzen.

Für den Inhalt des Beitrages 121732 haftet ausdrücklich der jeweilige Autor: Sauerland

• oops sorry german here ...

anyway thx for the script will play with it when needed ..

P.S.: As a suggestion - could the openSuse team implement a more refined rescue feature - for boot, graphics and missing system libraries?
    Something that works simple e.g. one like the rescue in Ubuntu?

LEAP15 seems to work nicely ... as far as I can tell.

Für den Inhalt des Beitrages 121778 haftet ausdrücklich der jeweilige Autor: hastagger